For more information on news and awards, visit our News & Events page.
Sophie Spratley, Ph.D., an undergraduate academic advisor in civil engineering, was awarded the NACADA 2021 Global Award for her dissertation on “Leadership Development Opportunities for Professional Academic Advisors of Color at a Predominantly White, Land-Grant Institution.” Her dissertation used a critical race perspective to acknowledge the racialized experiences and structure of academic advising within the predominantly white institution and ...READ MORE
The University of Florida’s Concrete Canoe design team has done it again: they have won the American Society of Civil Engineer’s (ASCE) National Concrete Canoe Competition for the second consecutive year. This year, the team faced a different challenge, which was to compete at the ASCE Concrete Canoe Competition virtually. The competition was held from June 25 to 27 at University of Wisconsin–Platteville. UF’s team chose to ...READ MORE
Since its inception, the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) has inducted 430 of its members as Fellows of the organization, including six members who have served as faculty of the University of Florida – Timothy J. Anderson (2006), Jennifer Curtis (2010), Daniel C. Drucker (1983), Raymond W. Fahien (1985), L. E. Grinter (1983) and ...READ MORE
Denise R. Simmons, Ph.D., a civil engineering associate professor in the Engineering School of Sustainable Infrastructure & Environment (ESSIE), recently had a manuscript featured as the Editor’s Choice in the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Journal of Civil Engineering Education. Dr. Simmons also received the Editor’s Choice in the ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering ...READ MORE
Alumni from the University of Florida have created and guided some of the most innovative and profitable businesses in the nation and the world. Each year, the UF Alumni Association, in partnership with the UF Entrepreneurship & Innovation Center recognizes these amazing entrepreneurs with the Gator100 Awards. Congratulations to our talented Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering ...READ MORE
- empowering the next generation of engineers to continue exploring innovative sustainable solutions. (2013): An environmental engineer with both master’s and doctoral degrees from the University of Florida, Durham is a serial entrepreneur as well as a recognized leader in energy and environmental policy. He has been involved in the measurement and control of emissions from the coal-fired power industry for over 40 years. He currently invests his time and resources
- George Kirkland (2014): – Created the George Kirkland Professorship in Engineering Leadership. It was the first endowed faculty position with a component dedicated to leadership education at the college.
- Ernest Hendricks (1972) (deceased): Received UF College of Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award
- James F. Shivler, Jr. (1972) (deceased): Received UF College of Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award
- Leon B. Thrasher (1981) (deceased): Received UF College of Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award