For more information on news and awards, visit our News & Events page.
Thomas Lutza (BSCE ’19) was named a University of Florida (UF) Outstanding Four-Year Scholar at the Outstanding Leaders & Scholars ceremony on December 13. Lutza just received a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering. Every commencement, UF and the Alumni Association select outstanding students based on overall achievements. The committee ...READ MORE
ARPA-E Supports Ferraro $1.1 Million to Research Boron Concrete to Mitigate Neutron-Induced ExpansionDecember 6, 2019
The U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE’s) Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) program has awarded $1.1 million to Christopher Ferraro, Ph.D., P.E., to perform research on the prevention of damage on concrete used to house nuclear reactors. When concrete is exposed to radiation, like it is in nuclear reactors, the aggregates within have potential to expand which ...READ MORE
Christine Angelini, Ph.D., an assistant professor in the Engineering School of Sustainable Infrastructure & Environment, has received two awards for her achievements in the Department of Environmental Engineering Sciences — the 2019 Water Institute Faculty Fellow Early Career Award and the Cronin Award for Early Achievement by the Coastal and Estuarine Research Federation (CERF). The Faculty ...READ MORE
Municipal solid waste (MSW) includes the household waste we carry to the curb each week in our trash cans and recycle bins. Most MSW is composed of food, paper, plastic, and a variety of other discarded products and packaging materials. In the United States, roughly half of our MSW is recycled or burned to produce ...READ MORE
Engineering School of Sustainable Infrastructure & Environment (ESSIE) Assistant Professor Maitane Olabarrieta, Ph.D., was awarded the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE). The PECASE award is described as the highest honor given by the U.S. Government to exceptional new scientists and engineers who contribute to the advancement of the STEM fields through scientific leadership, ...READ MORE
- Charles (Chick) W. Gregg: Received UF College of Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award. President & CEO, Greater Construction Corp. & Retired Ex. Vice President & CEO of Reynolds, Smith & Hills.
- Bob Powell: Received UF College of Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award. Powell Brothers Barge Terminal, Inc.
- Arthur W. Saarinen: Received College of Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award.
- Dr. R. Bruce Taylor: Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of Taylor Engineering, Inc. Received UF College of Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award.
- John W. Vogt: Received UF College of Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award.
- Dr. Paul Zung-Teh Zia: Received UF College of Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award , Retired from NC State Dept. of Civil Engineering & formerly of Becton Dickinson.
ESSIE Alumni of Distinction
- Dr. Kathy Banks: Dean of the College of Engineering Texas A&M
- Karen Bass: Partner and Principal of Moore Bass Consulting. Serves on the Board of Directors for the Bank of Tallahassee as well as the Board of Directors for the Tallahassee Lenders Consortium.
- Dr. Philip Bedient: Dr. Philip B. Bedient is the Herman Brown Professor of Engineering in Civil and Environmental Engineering at Rice University.
- Dr. Mark Brown: Professor, Director of the Center for Wetlands, EES, ESSIE, UF
- Mr. Jack Campo: Co-Founder of Kisinger, Campo & Associates. Endowed the Kisinger, Campo & Associates Term Professorship in Transportation.
- Mr. David O. Charland: Chairman of Jenkins and Charland, Inc. Appointed by Florida Governor Jeb Bush to serve on the Florida Board of Professional Engineers.
- Dr. David Cornwell: President of Environmental Engineering and Technology
- Deborah P. Divine: Former mayor of Salina, Kansas.
- Mimi Drew: former Secretary of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and currently President of Drew & Assoc.
- Dr. Michael Durham: President and CEO of ADA-ES, Inc.
- Mr. Bob Edmunds: Executive Vice President of Jones Edmunds.
- Mr. Donald L. Ellington: Co-founder of Cassueax and Ellington, now named Causseaux, Hewett & Walpole.
- Dr. Efi Foufoula-Georgiou: Distinguished McKnight University Professor, Joseph T. and Rose S. Ling Chair in Environmental Engineering, Director, National Center for Earth-surface Dynamics (NCED)
- Thomas Furman: Former CEO of CDM
- W.W. “Gric” Gibbs: One of the Department of Civil Engineering’s first graduates – 1909.
- Mr. Tom R. Kelley: CCE Graduate and Football Hall of Fame.
- Dr. Miguel Medina: Professor Emeritus, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Duke University
- Mr. Raymond W. Miller: Former CEO of WilsonMiller, Inc. Serves on the Florida Engineering Foundation Board of Trustees. ASCE Engineer of the Year in 1987.
- Dr. William Mitsch: Eminent Scholar and Director, Everglades Wetland Research Park, Florida Gulf Coast University, Naples, Florida.
- Dr. Steven Nix: Dean of the College of Engineering Texas A&M, Kingsville
- Mr. Stephen L. Precourt: Former principal of DRMP (Dyer, Riddle Mills, and Precourt). Now serves on Florida House of Representatives. American Society of Civil Engineers, Central Florida Chapter, Engineer of the Year 2004 & 2006.
- Mr. J.P. “Butch” Terpening: Founder and President of Culpepper and Terpening.
- Dr. Tim Townsend: Professor, EES, ESSIE, UF
- Robert Uhler: MWH Global Chairman and CEO