For more information on news and awards, visit our News & Events page.
Denise R. Simmons Selected as ASEE Fellow for Exemplary Contributions to Civil Engineering Workforce DevelopmentJune 30, 2023
Denise R. Simmons, Ph.D., PE, PMP, LEED-AP, was selected as a Fellow of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE). Dr. Simmons, the associate dean for workforce development in UF’s Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering, is one of nine selected in this cohort. The ASEE Fellow nomination is an honor bestowed on individuals to spotlight their ...READ MORE
Christopher Ferraro, Ph.D. P.E., an assistant professor in the Department of Civil & Coastal Engineering, is the recipient of the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering’s 2022-2023 Pramod P. Khargonekar Junior Faculty Award. The Pramod P. Khargonekar Junior Faculty Award was created by Dr. Khargonekar, former dean of the College. It is awarded each spring to the ...READ MORE
Larry Smith Sr. paved the way for his son, Larry Smith Jr., to empower the next generation Born and raised in Gainesville, Lawrence “Larry” Smith Jr. (BSCE, ’85) knew that he would one day be a Gator just like his father, Lawrence “Larry” Smith Sr. (BSCE, ‘55, MSCE, ‘66). “My Dad was definitely one of the most ...READ MORE
The University of Florida’s Association of Hispanic Alumni (AHA) recently selected Carlos A. Penin, PE, (CCE, ‘77) to receive the 2022 Gran Caimán of the Year award for his passion, commitment and leadership beyond engineering. “I am humbled beyond words in receiving this honor. First, it recognizes my Cuban American heritage, and second, I join many ...READ MORE
The University of Florida’s Eckhoff Steel Bridge team has done it again. The team placed first in the American Institute of Steel Construction’s (AISC) Student Steel Bridge National Competition for the second year in a row. The competition was hosted by Virginia Tech on May 27 and 28 with more than 140 participating schools internationally. “The team, ...READ MORE
- empowering the next generation of engineers to continue exploring innovative sustainable solutions. (2013): An environmental engineer with both master’s and doctoral degrees from the University of Florida, Durham is a serial entrepreneur as well as a recognized leader in energy and environmental policy. He has been involved in the measurement and control of emissions from the coal-fired power industry for over 40 years. He currently invests his time and resources
- George Kirkland (2014): – Created the George Kirkland Professorship in Engineering Leadership. It was the first endowed faculty position with a component dedicated to leadership education at the college.
- Ernest Hendricks (1972) (deceased): Received UF College of Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award
- James F. Shivler, Jr. (1972) (deceased): Received UF College of Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award
- Leon B. Thrasher (1981) (deceased): Received UF College of Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award