COEL Testing Equipment
Steel Geotechnical Testing Chamber
With a volume of 1,600 cubic feet this is the largest testing chamber to date. Vertical geostatic pressure is simulated using pneumatic lift bags and monitored using a variety of in situ soil pressure cells.
- 20 feet long, 10 feet wide, 8 feet tall
- Designed for wall deflection less than 3/32 of an inch at geostatic earth pressure of 118 pounds per square inch (150 feet of overburden)
- Designed to eliminate boundary effects when testing dual pipes up to 36 inches in diameter
- Observation portals located along the length of the testing chamber allow for monitoring of the pipe’s diameter during loading
- Laser instrumentation allows real-time measurement of pipe deflection during loading
Axial load test conducted in test chamber.
Excavation of group test shafts from test chamber.