About Us / History
Dr. Alvin Percy Black served as a professor at the University of Florida for 47 years and retired on June 30, 1966 as Research Professor Emeritus of Chemistry and Bioenvironmental Engineering (the latter a predecessor of the current Department of Environmental Engineering Sciences).
During his career, he was the major professor for over 50 master's and doctoral graduates and the chairman of many major University committees.
The Board of Regents honored Dr. Black by attaching his name to the 38,000 square foot building constructed in 1967 that was designed to house the Department of Environmental Engineering Sciences.
Our Civil and Coastal Engineering Department is rich in history. During the early 1900s, several educational institutions were consolidated and moved to Gainesville, Florida, establishing what is now the University of Florida. After the second University President, Dr. Murphree, took office in 1909, he proposed establishing several colleges and by 1910, eight colleges with divisions were formed. The College of Engineering was established, although there was no engineering building. Benton Hall w transit club membersCivil Engineering was one of only three engineering programs available at the university at this time. By 1911, the engineering building was completed (later named Benton Hall after its first Dean, Dr. John Benton).Read the complete article on CCE Department History.
It is with great pride that we remember William Wetmore Gibbs (W.W. "Gric". Gibbs). He was born in Melbourne, Florida on January 12, 1889.Gibbs birthplace He entered the University of Florida (UF) in 1905 and graduated in 1909, receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering. While attending UF, Gibbs proved to be an excellent student and leader. He was the captain of the Florida eleven football team and was called a "holy terror" on defense by his opponents.Read the complete article on William Wetmore Gibbs.